How do a prescription and a recommendation for marijuana differ?

A doctor cannot legally prescribe marijuana, but can recommend its use for a patient. The recommendation is only valid for as long as the patient remains under the physician's care and the physician considers marijuana to be a valid medical treatment for the patient.

Many pro-medical marijuana organizations and dispensaries keep lists of doctors who will recommend medical marijuana, although this practice is controversial because some doctors appear to be willing, in exchange for payment, to offer a recommendation for nearly any condition.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Night of Conversation: Facing Addiction over Dinner
November 15 marked 2018’s Night of Conversation: Facing Addiction over Dinner, when parents sat down together with their children to talk about alcoho...
Who is most likely to abuse prescription painkillers?
Understanding the groups at highest risk for overdose can help target interventions. Research shows ...
Should I be concerned if my teenage daughter has begun drinking socially?
The fact that your teenage daughter has begun drinking socially is cause for concern. Underage drink...
What Are Risk Factors for Addiction?
What Are Risk Factors for Addiction?