As a woman, how can my partner's pornography addiction affect me?

When your partner is preoccupied with porn, your self-esteem can suffer. You may feel hurt that he's paying less attention to you sexually, frustrated by his apparent lack of libido, and even inspired to start "competing" with porn stars yourself -- a tactic that, ironically doesn't always appeal to guys. In a recent article about men and porn in New York magazine, Davy Rothbart writes, "Men, oversaturated by porn, secretly hunger for the variety that porn offers. Women, noticing a decline in their partners' libidos, try to reenact the kinds of scenes that men watch on their computer screens. Men, as a result, get really freaked out. They don't want their real women and their fantasy women to inhabit the same body."
Sudeepta Varma, MD
Psychiatry

As a woman, your partner's porn addiction can have a big impact on self-esteem, and also creates feelings of guilt and shame about not being able to please or arouse your partner. Watch psychiatrist Sudeepta Varma, MD, explain this delicate issue.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Support Someone in Recovery
How to Support Someone in Recovery
Recovery is different for everyone, but it’s a process in which individuals work to create a positive change in their overall behavior, outlook and id...
What should I do if I have a relapse into addiction?
If you experience a relapse during your recovery from substance abuse, don't give up. Call your spon...
Can social networking websites raise my child's risk of substance abuse?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University conducted a fascinat...
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?