How much does addiction cost society?

Addiction is estimated to cost American society more than $600 billion each year, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).The misuse and abuse of alcohol, over-the-counter medications, illicit drugs and tobacco affect the health and well-being of millions of Americans. Drug and alcohol dependencies can lead to other chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. It is therefore important to recognize the signs and symptoms of alcohol and drug misuse early.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine Specialist

The problem of addiction (loss of control over the use of a psychoactive drug or the participation in an activity, such as gambling) is very costly. Among brain disorders, addiction incurs more expense than Alzheimer's disease, stroke, Parkinson's disease or head and neck injury. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the overall costs of substance abuse in the United States exceed half a trillion dollars, including health- and crime-related expenses as well as losses in productivity.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Investigator: Prince Died of Opioid Overdose
Singer Prince died of an opioid overdose, an anonymous law enforcement official told reporters in June. He was 57 when he passed away on April 21, 201...
What are warning signs that my child is using drugs?
Some of the signs that a child is using drugs include the following: changes in eating habits ...
What medications are used to treat substance use disorders?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
There are a variety of medications used to help with the treatment of addictions. Antabuse was one o...
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?