How can drugs and alcohol affect emotions?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
Illicit drugs and alcohol are known as mood-altering substances because they change your emotional state. You have no control over this change, and it's not always a positive one. The consequences of using substances vary depending on the type of drug, but they can include the following:
  • depression (alcohol is a depressant)
  • anxiety
  • paranoia
  • disinhibition
Disinhibition leads to impulsive behaviors, such as sexual promiscuity; overexpression of emotions, which may result in aggression; dangerous driving; or other risky actions. Using substances can also impact your mood over a longer term. Having a hangover or crashing from a high usually leaves people feeling irritable, tired, and physically unwell. Some people notice that their mood is affected for days after drinking or using drugs.
Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
Should I be concerned if my teenage daughter has begun drinking socially?
The fact that your teenage daughter has begun drinking socially is cause for concern. Underage drink...
What are risks of substance use disorder if I am bipolar?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
If you have bipolar disorder and a substance use disorder, you are more likely to have: poor ad...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?