How does drug and alcohol use affect bipolar disorder in teens?

Sometimes the effects of drugs and alcohol can mimic the symptoms of the manic or depressive episodes of bipolar disorder. Other times, when a teenager is in the midst of a manic or depressive episode, they may be more likely to experiment with or use drugs or alcohol, adding yet another layer to the difficulty in accurately diagnosing bipolar disorder in adolescents as well as young adults. One thing is very clear. The use of any illicit drugs and alcohol in the presence of bipolar disorder must be completely prohibited. Not only do they complicate the diagnostic picture, but their use is like adding "fuel to the fire" of a brain already impaired by a severe illness, and will undoubtedly worsen the symptoms and outcome of the illness.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Avoid a Relapse During the Most Stressful Time of Year
The holidays are meant to be a time of rest and enjoyment, surrounded by warmth and loved ones. But in reality, it tends to be a time of last minute s...
How can I identify harmful substance use or addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Watch as Dr. Mike Dow discusses how you can identify the signs of harmful substance use or addic...
What are signs of substance abuse?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of possible substance abuse include: Behavioral changes not otherwise explained Sudden mood ...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?