How can a drug addiction affect intimacy in a relationship?

Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Most drugs stop intimacy in its tracks. The addicted individual is more interested in the drug, including alcohol, than you. They tend to lack motivation and are detached from reality. Motivation and emotional connectedness is a very important part of intimacy. Most drugs reduce both of these, causing a lack of intimacy in a relationship.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Can Medical Marijuana Laws Curb Opioid Use?
Trading one drug for another is a risky proposition, but sometimes it works—swapping heroin for methadone, for example. What about medical marijuana a...
What can I do if I think I've become addicted to opioids?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If you think you've become addicted to opioids there are resources out there that can help with wean...
What is marijuana (pot)?
Marijuana (pot) is by far the most commonly used illegal drug, although in recent years it has becom...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?