How does addiction work?

Kelly Traver

Deep in the brain, there are areas called the nucleus accumbens and ventral tegmental areas, also known as "pleasure centers." You get a pleasurable sensation from the release of dopamine when these areas are activated. Some people have a much more intense reaction to a given stimulus than others by generating more dopamine. Dopamine feels good and captures your attention, but too high a level can cause hallucinations or distorted thinking, and when high levels of dopamine are released on a repeated basis, larger and larger amounts are needed to have the same effect because receptors on the nerve cell membrane become less and less responsive. This phenomenon is known as tolerance. After a while, not only does it take higher levels of dopamine to have the same effect, even normal levels of dopamine don't feel as if they are enough anymore. Because normal levels feel low, all the brain can think about is how to get the dopamine into a range that will feel normal again. Some drugs, such as methamphetamine, trigger this physiology quite quickly. People often become addicted to this drug after one or two exposures. Other drugs differ in their ability to cause addiction, and people also differ in how easily they can become addicted.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Drug That Reverses Heroin Overdose
Drug That Reverses Heroin Overdose
Heroin and prescription opioid abuse and overdoses have soared in recent years. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), alm...
How can my environment affect my response to drugs and alcohol?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
The social and environmental context within which a person uses a psychoactive substance (any su...
How can I identify harmful substance use or addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Watch as Dr. Mike Dow discusses how you can identify the signs of harmful substance use or addic...
What Causes Nicotine Cravings During Addiction Recovery?