How common is alcoholism?

Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
Neurologist

Roughly 13% of Americans meet the "criteria" for alcohol use disorder, otherwise known as alcoholism. That means 13 out of 100 people walking around the streets of America struggle with control over their drinking.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Surprising Reasons for Your Hangover, According to Science
Whether you're having beers with a buddy or celebrating Wine Wednesday with your BFFs, a choice beverage can help make for a memorable evening. The po...
Who is most likely to abuse prescription painkillers?
Understanding the groups at highest risk for overdose can help target interventions. Research shows ...
Should I worry that my elderly mom consumes more than one drink a day?
More than one drink a day puts your elderly mom above the recommended limit of no more than seven dr...
How Is Substance Abuse of Prescription Drugs Treated?