Is there any harm in women drinking to combat stress or nervousness?

For women, drinking to combat stress or nervousness can lead to harm. Women often begin to abuse alcohol and drugs following depression, to relax on dates, to feel more adequate, to lose weight, to decrease stress or to help them sleep at night. Any time the number of drinks consumed exceeds the recommended limit (no more than one standard drink per day and seven per week), it becomes a problem, and it is important to get help with the issue that is creating the pressure to drink as well as guidance to help avoid such drinking.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Know the Signs of Opioid Use and Addiction
Millions of Americans have developed addictions to prescription opioid painkillers in recent years, and hundreds of thousands more have become addicte...
What are some behavioral signs of substance abuse?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Behavioral signs of substance abuse:• Lack of motivation and performance in school or at work• Sudde...
What is marijuana (pot)?
Marijuana (pot) is by far the most commonly used illegal drug, although in recent years it has becom...
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?