What do I do if I have a drug or alcohol problem?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine
If you are asking the question, you have made an important first step by acknowledging there may be something wrong. There are many alternatives for getting help and it is important that you find something that is a good fit for you.  You can try quitting/ cutting back or attending self-help groups like Alcoholics Anonymous or LifeRing. It will also be extremely helpful to get an assessment from a reputable Licensed or Certified Addiction professional that includes some ideas of next steps based on their assessment findings. You may be able to get a free assessment from a local substance abuse treatment program. However, no matter what you choose take care to make sure you are getting a real assessment that helps YOU make an informed decision about treatment options specific to your situation.

If you are physically addicted to alcohol or prescriptions drugs, you may need to start with a medically-managed Detox and should consult an addiction professional who can connect you with a physician with specialized training in treating addictive disorders and overseeing inpatient and outpatient detoxification. Remember, some substances may be life threatening to stop without proper medical supervision and in many cases detoxification medications will ensure a safe Detox but require medical supervision. An example is alcohol, which has a high level of lethality concerns if one attempts to quit without support and medical oversight. Here again, the assessment will help you make the best decision about the appropriate level of support to attend to your needs.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

9 Keys to Taking Opioids Safely
9 Keys to Taking Opioids Safely
You’ve probably heard about opioids in the news, since abuse and overuse of these powerful pain relievers has contributed to a national crisis of addi...
Can I recover from a substance abuse disorder without treatment?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
According to one study, 72% of Americans with substance use disorders eventually seek treatment ...
Where I can find help to deal with substance abuse?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
You can find help within your local community starting with utilization of the various support group...
Can Accountability Help Recovering Addicts?