Does using smokeless tobacco increase my risk of developing cancer?

Many people believe that the use of snuff and other forms of smokeless tobacco is safer than smoking. However, potent human carcinogens (N-nitrosamines) are also present in high concentrations in smokeless tobacco. These carcinogens have been clearly linked to cancers of the lung, esophagus, liver, pancreas, bladder, cervix, nasal and oral cavities. There simply is no safe way to use tobacco products. 

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Avoid a Relapse During the Most Stressful Time of Year
The holidays are meant to be a time of rest and enjoyment, surrounded by warmth and loved ones. But in reality, it tends to be a time of last-minute s...
How does replacement therapy help me break an addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Replacement therapy can help break an addiction by replacing the element you are addicted to with a ...
How can my environment affect my response to drugs and alcohol?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
The social and environmental context within which a person uses a psychoactive substance (any su...
How Is Substance Abuse of Prescription Drugs Treated?