Does chewing tobacco cause cancer?

In the majority of cases, a lesion from chewing tobacco, left unchecked, will progress from dysplastic to cancerous. Oral Cancer is most difficult to treat and the treatment itself can be disfiguring and depending on the stage of the disease, unsuccessful. 

There is a culture of chewing tobacco use in young men, especially those playing sports. I have noticed it starts later in high school and continues through college, should they be playing at this level. I do not know if it is peer pressure that these young men continue to chew, but they will not quit easily. One would think that being sent to an oral surgeon for biopsy might prevent this habit from starting up again- sadly, many continue. 

My only advice is to NEVER EVER START!! Bad habits, especially those that cause chemical dependence, are very hard to break!

In a head-to-toe journey  in cancer prevention, Dr. Oz reveals how bad chewing tobacco is for the entire body and the risk it poses for oral cancer in this video.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Avoid a Relapse During the Most Stressful Time of Year
The holidays are meant to be a time of rest and enjoyment, surrounded by warmth and loved ones. But in reality, it tends to be a time of last minute s...
How does methamphetamine use affect the body?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Methamphetamine (a powerful, cheap, and easy-to-make drug) use can have very harmful effects on ...
Is the use of prescription painkillers on the rise?
The supply of prescription painkillers is larger than ever. In fact, the quantity of prescription pa...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior