Do smoking and drinking alcohol make me more likely to get sick?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Cigarette and cigar smokers tend to get more severe colds, flus and they get them more frequently. Smoke dries out your nasal passages, lowers your immune response and decreases your ability to sweep bacteria and viruses out of your respiratory system. It’s one toxic substance that dramatically increases your risk of getting the flu and staying sick longer. Alcohol is another toxin that increases the risk of getting sick because it dramatically suppresses the immune system. Not only that, it poisons nearly every organ system in the body, particularly the liver, which is critical for removing toxins and bacteria from the body.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

9 Keys to Taking Opioids Safely
9 Keys to Taking Opioids Safely
You’ve probably heard about opioids in the news, since abuse and overuse of these powerful pain relievers has contributed to a national crisis of addi...
How can I identify harmful substance use or addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Watch as Dr. Mike Dow discusses how you can identify the signs of harmful substance use or addic...
How common is substance abuse among veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
According to the Drug Policy Alliance, 19 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan War veterans receiving VA ...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?