Could I become addicted to opioids if I have chronic pain?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
People that are vulnerable to addiction are at risk for developing a dependency to opioids, especially if taken for a chronic condition. In this video, I will explain how the majority of people do not become addicted.
Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
The risk of opioid addiction among people with chronic pain is low—except for those with a personal or family history of drug abuse or mental illness. Short-term use also minimizes the risk of addiction. On the other hand, prescriptions for opioids increased tenfold from 1990 to 2010, and the number of people addicted to painkillers has risen in parallel with this trend.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Anatomy of Opioid Addiction
Anatomy of Opioid Addiction
In 2016, the most recent year for which we have data, the number one cause of accidental death wasn’t drownings, falls or even car accidents—it was dr...
How does drug abuse mirror schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Drug abuse can mimic schizophrenia in several ways. Some drugs, like marijuana and PCP, are know...
Should I worry that my elderly mom consumes more than one drink a day?
More than one drink a day puts your elderly mom above the recommended limit of no more than seven dr...
How Is Substance Abuse of Prescription Drugs Treated?