Could I become addicted to opioids if I have chronic pain?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
People that are vulnerable to addiction are at risk for developing a dependency to opioids, especially if taken for a chronic condition. In this video, I will explain how the majority of people do not become addicted.
Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
The risk of opioid addiction among people with chronic pain is low—except for those with a personal or family history of drug abuse or mental illness. Short-term use also minimizes the risk of addiction. On the other hand, prescriptions for opioids increased tenfold from 1990 to 2010, and the number of people addicted to painkillers has risen in parallel with this trend.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Get Help for Widespread Drug Use Disorder
In the 2002 made-for-TV movie, The Secret Life of Zoe, Julia Whelan (Zoe) plays a teenager whose divorced mother (Mia Farrow) and father (Cliff De You...
What are the health consequences of heroin use?
The health consequences of heroin use include: Dry, itchy skin, skin infections and abscesses Co...
Are women or men more likely to use and abuse stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Men and women are about equally likely to use and abuse stimulants, such as cocaine and methamph...
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?