Does chewing tobacco increase the risk of gum recession?

Studies have shown that chewing tobacco, or smokeless tobacco, can lead to gum recession. Smokeless tobacco can cause your gums to pull away from the teeth and increase the loss of bone and fibers that hold your teeth in place.

Smoking, either by chewing tobacco or cigarettes, may be responsible for almost 75% of periodontal diseases among adults. Tobacco products damage your gum tissue by affecting the attachment of bone and soft tissue to your teeth. An example of the effect is receding gums. A receding gum line exposes the tooth roots and increases your risk of developing a sensitivity to hot and cold, or tooth decay in these unprotected areas.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

The Next Wave of the Opioid Epidemic
The Next Wave of the Opioid Epidemic
Opioids are powerful and addictive painkillers that can create a sense of euphoria—and stop your breathing—and their abuse is on the rise. According ...
What is the government doing to stop prescription painkiller abuse?
Multiple agencies across the Federal government are working collaboratively to address prescription ...
What lifestyle changes signal substance abuse?
Debra DibartoloDebra Dibartolo
Substance abuse disorders are interesting disorders. They are hallmarked by denial and minimization....
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?