What do I need to know about caring for someone with delirium tremens?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The most important thing to know about caring for someone with delirium tremens is that they need immediate medical attention at a hospital. The mental confusion and anxiety that occurs at the onset of delirium tremens is the beginning of a much more serious condition that is life threatening. Medical care is needed to reduce risk of serious illness or complications from increased heart rate, seizures, hallucinations, and high fever. The doctor will also be able to rule out any other problems or conditions that may be causing the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Can Marijuana Be Used Responsibly?
Can Marijuana Be Used Responsibly?
Weed, ganja, pot—whatever you call marijuana, facts about its risks and benefits seem harder to come by than a sober fan at a Willie Nelson concert. B...
How common is substance abuse among veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
According to the Drug Policy Alliance, 19 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan War veterans receiving VA ...
Can brain damage from drugs and alcohol be reversed?
Yes and no. There appear to be both reversible brain damage and permanent brain damage from drug...
How can I tell if someone is addicted to prescription drugs?
Dr. Charles J. Sophy, MDDr. Charles J. Sophy, MD
You can tell if someone is addicted to prescription drugs by watching his/her behavior. Most addicts...