What do I need to know about caring for someone with delirium tremens?

The most important thing to know about caring for someone with delirium tremens is that they need immediate medical attention at a hospital. The mental confusion and anxiety that occurs at the onset of delirium tremens is the beginning of a much more serious condition that is life threatening. Medical care is needed to reduce risk of serious illness or complications from increased heart rate, seizures, hallucinations, and high fever. The doctor will also be able to rule out any other problems or conditions that may be causing the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Why Addiction Relapses Happen
Why Addiction Relapses Happen
For someone who is experiencing drug or alcohol addiction, the real fight is staying clean. In fact, the National Institute on Drug Abuse estimates th...
What is denial and how do I recognize it?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Denial is the inability to believe in the existence or reality of something. In addiction, denying t...
How common is it to replace one addiction with another one?
Arif A. Karim, MDArif A. Karim, MD
There are both chemical and behavioral addictions, and it's possible for people who are more suscept...
What Causes Nicotine Cravings During Addiction Recovery?