How do I care for someone recovering from nicotine addiction?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Caring for someone who is recovering from nicotine addiction involves helping the person modify behaviors and situations that trigger the desire to smoke. Create smoke-free areas like the house or car, provide nutritious meals, and encourage exercise and relaxation techniques to reduce stress. Try to be available if the person needs a distraction from a craving. If necessary, provide information for support groups or advise on getting medical attention if recovery is particularly difficult.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Night of Conversation: Facing Addiction over Dinner
November 15 marked 2018’s Night of Conversation: Facing Addiction over Dinner, when parents sat down together with their children to talk about alcoho...
Are drugs of abuse more likely to harm me as I get older?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Neuroscientists speculate that changes in brain chemistry and function that come with aging alte...
What is marijuana (pot)?
Marijuana (pot) is by far the most commonly used illegal drug, although in recent years it has becom...
How Important Is Family in Drug Addiction Recovery?