What cancers are caused by smokeless tobacco use?

Like cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products contain a variety of toxins associated with cancer. Smokeless tobacco is known to cause cancers of the mouth, lip, tongue, and pancreas. Users also may be at risk for cancer of the voice box, esophagus, colon and bladder, because they swallow some of the toxins in the juice created by using smokeless tobacco.
Smokeless tobacco causes the following:
     • Smokeless tobacco users increase their risk for cancer of the oral cavity. Oral cancer can include cancer of the lip, tongue, cheeks, gums, and the floor and roof of the mouth.
     • People who use oral snuff for a long time have a much greater risk for cancer of the cheek and gum than people who do not use smokeless tobacco.
     • The possible increased risk for other types of cancer from smokeless tobacco is being studied.
This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Is it okay to mix over-the-counter (OTC) painkillers with alcohol?
Over-the-counter (OTC) painkillers and fever reducers can cause health problems if mixed with alcoho...
What can help me avoid relapsing if I quit smoking or another addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
It's fairly easy for an ex-smoker to resist lighting up after he's quit for two years, but if he...
What should I do if I have a relapse into addiction?
If you experience a relapse during your recovery from substance abuse, don't give up. Call your spon...
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?