Can my family and friends help in my recovery of dual diagnosis?

Family and friends can help in your recovery by talking to your healthcare provider and counselors about your condition and offering their support. They should avoid making it easy for you to keep abusing drugs or alcohol and be aware of the warning signs of relapse.

While they’re helping you, make sure they balance their concern for you with their own needs. Make sure they don’t feel responsible for your condition and, if needed, find their own support group. Although concerned about your condition, they should take time for themselves, including eating right and getting enough rest and exercise.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: When Should I Talk to My Doctor About a Possible Opioid Addiction?
In this video, Dr. Oz discusses who is at risk for opioid addiction, how to recognize the symptoms of opioid addiction and why you need to work with y...
How can I prevent a prescription painkiller overdose?
About 19 women die every day of a prescription painkiller overdose in the U.S. You can prevent overd...
Can my primary care doctor diagnose a substance abuse problem?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
A survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University found th...
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?