Can substance use disorders (SUDs) be cured?

Treatment for substance use disorders (SUDs) generally isn’t a cure. However, addiction is treatable and can be successfully managed. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), treatment should be ongoing and should be adjusted based on how the person responds. Treatment plans need to be reviewed often and modified to fit the person’s changing needs.

People struggling with the misuse of drugs or alcohol, should not hesitate to reach out. Help is available. They can contact their primary care physician (PCP) who can help coordinate their care and refer them to a specialist, if needed.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: When Should I Talk to My Doctor About a Possible Opioid Addiction?
In this video, Dr. Oz discusses who is at risk for opioid addiction, how to recognize the symptoms of opioid addiction and why you need to work with y...
What lifestyle changes signal substance abuse?
Debra DibartoloDebra Dibartolo
Substance abuse disorders are interesting disorders. They are hallmarked by denial and minimization....
Are drugs of abuse more likely to harm me as I get older?
Seth  JaffeSeth Jaffe
Unfortunately as we grow older our tolerance for drugs/alcohol grows weaker and more fragile. Any op...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?