Can substance use disorders (SUDs) be cured?

Treatment for substance use disorders (SUDs) generally isn’t a cure. However, addiction is treatable and can be successfully managed. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), treatment should be ongoing and should be adjusted based on how the person responds. Treatment plans need to be reviewed often and modified to fit the person’s changing needs.

People struggling with the misuse of drugs or alcohol, should not hesitate to reach out. Help is available. They can contact their primary care physician (PCP) who can help coordinate their care and refer them to a specialist, if needed.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Help a Recovering Addict
How to Help a Recovering Addict
Recovery is different for everyone, but it’s a process in which individuals work to create a positive change in their overall behavior, outlook and id...
What are withdrawal symptoms?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Discomfort after stopping an addictive substance is called withdrawal, and it is significant because...
What options do I have if I can't recover from my substance use disorder?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
If you are unable to recover from a substance use disorder (SUD), it's necessary that you educate yo...
What Causes Nicotine Cravings During Addiction Recovery?