Can I be an alcoholic even if I don't drink hard liquor?

You can be an alcoholic even if you don't drink hard liquor. Alcoholism has little to do with the kind of alcohol you drink. Each type of alcoholic beverage has a different amount of alcohol. For example a 12-ounce can of beer is roughly equal to 1.5 ounces of hard liquor. If you are currently drinking more than the recommended limits (no more than one standard drink per day and seven per week), you may need to cut back. If you find it difficult to cut back, you may want to seek help from a healthcare provider.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
What are some physical signs of substance abuse?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Physical signs of substance abuse • Bloodshot eyes• Pupils are dilated or pinpointed• Appetite chang...
Why might elderly people be hesitant to take prescribed opioid medication?
Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MDDr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
Doctors sometimes see elderly adults who are hesitant to take prescription opioid medication. "Doc, ...
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?