Can I be an alcoholic even if I don't drink hard liquor?

You can be an alcoholic even if you don't drink hard liquor. Alcoholism has little to do with the kind of alcohol you drink. Each type of alcoholic beverage has a different amount of alcohol. For example a 12-ounce can of beer is roughly equal to 1.5 ounces of hard liquor. If you are currently drinking more than the recommended limits (no more than one standard drink per day and seven per week), you may need to cut back. If you find it difficult to cut back, you may want to seek help from a healthcare provider.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Navigating the Healthcare System When Facing Addiction
Navigating the healthcare system can be a confusing and daunting task. Therefore, understanding how to properly access prevention, treatment and recov...
What medications are used to treat substance use disorders?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
There are a variety of medications used to help with the treatment of addictions. Antabuse was one o...
Why do I need counseling to quit drinking/using drugs?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Drug and alcohol abuse get put into place by numerous forces so addressing it also requires a comple...
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?