Why are addictions so hard to break?

Addictive behaviors can change our brain chemistry in ways that makes the addiction nearly impossible to break. As you know from TV shows, movies, and perhaps your own personal experiences with addiction, addictions that are harmful to the abuser and the abuser's family are harder to break than Joe DiMaggio's hitting record. And, unfortunately, addiction isn't one of those areas where you can just pop a pill to make it go away, because all addictions have physical, emotional, and social influences. So you often require a pro, who can get you off the wrong track and on the right one, and a buddy who can help you stay there.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Why is it dangerous for opioid users to turn to heroin?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
It is dangerous for opioid users to turn to heroin because there is no Food and Drug Administration ...
What is an addiction psychiatrist?
Addiction psychiatrists are medical doctors with general psychiatry training, as well as additional ...
Why do I need counseling to quit drinking/using drugs?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
Counseling is needed to learn how to live your life again without turning to substances to manage th...
What can I expect as I recover from substance abuse?
During your recovery, you can expect to experience withdrawal. Symptoms include anxiety or depressio...