What are some behavioral signs I can look for if someone is addicted?

George Joseph
Addiction Medicine
Behavioral signs of addiction may be easier to identify in some cases. Decreases in motivation levels, sudden financial problems, an increase in spending money, stealing, paranoia, secretive, lost interests in favorite hobbies, changes in friends or social activities, and an increase in accidents are some signs that there may be a problem. You start noticing things are missing, 10 dollars here and 20 dollars there – not enough to be overly concerned, but you notice. People using heavily tend to start having multiple health issues, whether caused by accidents or ailments; you will begin seeing a deterioration of their physical health. They are beginning to change in all aspects of who they are; they are no longer the person you recognize and relate to. Write down your inventory.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

The Truth Behind Kratom, Touted Opioid Alternative
When Hofstra University’s departments of Earth Sciences and Geology helped put together a teaching guide for GeoTeach to sort out the facts from scien...
How do prescription drug abusers access medications?
Sadly, many teenagers who abuse medications steal from their own parents or friends.  They think tha...
Why might elderly people be hesitant to take prescribed opioid medication?
Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MDDr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
Doctors sometimes see elderly adults who are hesitant to take prescription opioid medication. "Doc, ...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?