What can I do to avoid relapses during my recovery from substance abuse?

Yes, relapses are possible and you can avoid them by understanding the triggers that make you want to drink again. Avoid the people and places and situations that make you feel that way. Also, you may feel like drinking when you feel stressed, lonely or depressed.
Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine
Be mindful of the people, places, and situations that you put yourself in, as they will have a key impact on your ability to stay sober.  Likewise, they will also play a key role in putting yourself at risk for a relapse. Think of these decisions as conditions that lend themselves to supporting or interfering with your recovery.  Remember, people who plan to stay sober tend to do so.  This is an old recovery adage which articulates a basic truth about recovery, which is that it is a lifestyle. If this is your lifestyle, then you will plan your daily life and what you do in it to increase your chances of staying sober.  Again, this will be most specifically seen by the people, places, and situations you put yourself in or around.  

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: Preventing a Relapse
Ask the Experts: Preventing a Relapse
Once you transitioned off of opioids, there is still work to be done. Watch Dr. Oz explain tips for avoiding a relapse of opioid use, along with steps...
What is denial and how do I recognize it?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Denial is looking past the problem instead of facing it. Psychologists consider denial the most chil...
What is a substance use disorder (SUD)?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Substance abuse is the term the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Editio...
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?