Are older people more susceptible to substance abuse?

Older people are more susceptible to substance abuse. Substance abuse is one of the most common health problems in VA nursing homes and the rate has increased as Vietnam veterans age.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Can Medical Marijuana Laws Curb Opioid Use?
Trading one drug for another is a risky proposition, but sometimes it works—swapping heroin for methadone, for example. What about medical marijuana a...
What initiatives are underway regarding drug abuse policy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
There are some promising initiatives to improve policy and treatment for people with drug problems a...
Why has there been a rise in the use of opioids?
Eric Egeler, PharmDEric Egeler, PharmD
There has been a rise in the use of opioids because a federal government policy asked the medical co...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?