Are there forms of marijuana that are legal?

The pain reliever Sativex, which is administered as an oral spray, is based on a natural extract of marijuana.

Marinol is a pill containing a synthetic form of THC. It has been approved the by Federal Food and Drug Administration and is used to treat nausea in AIDS and cancer patients. The federal Drug Enforcement Agency likens the use of Marinol to the use of morphine (a legal, safe alternative to smoking heroin or opium).

However, some experts think that Marinol and other synthetic substitutes are less effective and more expensive than marijuana. They say smoking marijuana provides patients with medication that acts faster and has fewer side effects.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

The Truth Behind Kratom, Touted Opioid Alternative
When Hofstra University’s departments of Earth Sciences and Geology helped put together a teaching guide for GeoTeach to sort out the facts from scien...
What are some behavioral signs of substance abuse?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Behavioral signs of substance abuse:• Lack of motivation and performance in school or at work• Sudde...
What percentage of women and girls use drugs?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Women in the U.S. largely use and abuse legal drugs, such as alcohol, tobacco, and prescription drug...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?