Are there forms of marijuana that are legal?

The pain reliever Sativex, which is administered as an oral spray, is based on a natural extract of marijuana.

Marinol is a pill containing a synthetic form of THC. It has been approved the by Federal Food and Drug Administration and is used to treat nausea in AIDS and cancer patients. The federal Drug Enforcement Agency likens the use of Marinol to the use of morphine (a legal, safe alternative to smoking heroin or opium).

However, some experts think that Marinol and other synthetic substitutes are less effective and more expensive than marijuana. They say smoking marijuana provides patients with medication that acts faster and has fewer side effects.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Avoid the Marijuana Cookie Monster
Avoid the Marijuana Cookie Monster
When the Muppets’ Cookie Monster grumbles, "Me want cookie! Me eat cookie! Om nom nom nom," his mouth-stuffing antics delight children and parents ali...
What are the major influences on substance use and abuse?
Sheila DunnellsSheila Dunnells
Teens initially smoke cigarettes and use illegal drugs to fit in. Hanging with the “druggies” stands...
What are the health risks of chewing tobacco?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Smokeless tobacco is known to cause cancers of the mouth, lip, tongue, and pancreas. Users also may ...
Are drugs of abuse more likely to harm me as I get older?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Neuroscientists speculate that changes in brain chemistry and function that come with aging alte...