Are behavioral addictions less common than addictions to substances?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
In general, behavioral expressions of addiction, such as gambling, are less prevalent than addiction to substances. It is likely that this is the case because behaviors don't alter your state of mind as powerfully or as consistently as drugs. However, the less-common behaviors haven't been as well studied. In 2011, researchers from the University of Southern California published a review of 83 studies, each involving at least 500 subjects; this study examined the prevalence of 11 different expressions of addiction (tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, eating, gambling, Internet use, love, sex, exercise, work, and shopping). They found that most of the forms of behavioral addiction studied -- eating, gambling, Internet use, love, sex, and exercise -- each occurred in about 2% to 3% of the population. Addiction to substances (alcohol, cigarettes, and illicit drugs) had prevalence rates between 5% and 15%, as did two behavioral expressions of addiction (work and shopping). However, other research suggests that the rate of shopping addiction is closer to 2% to 3%.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Side Effects of Opioid Medication
Side Effects of Opioid Medication
Opioids—a class of drug that includes oxycodone, hydrocodone and codeine, as well as heroin, morphine and fentanyl—may knock out the pain, but they ca...
What options do I have if I can't recover from my substance use disorder?
Dr. Sheila DunnellsDr. Sheila Dunnells
If you have faced the truth, that you can't cut your substance abuse, congratulations. You have jump...
What are some warning signs of teen substance use?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Warning signs of teen substance abuse may include:• Secrecy – all of a sudden it’s “not your busines...
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?