I am an addict, if I start exercising will I become addicted to exercise?

There is a much larger chance of someone with an addiction becoming addicted to exercise. Addiction of any kind reflects personal or social maladjustment and parallels other addictive processes characterized by increasing dose dependence (needing or wanting more) and withdrawal set symptoms (nervousness, twitching, irritability, anxiety) under deprivation.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Preventing Drug Addiction Before It Starts
Substance misuse, or the improper use of a substance that may cause harm, is an important issue that needs to be addressed in the United States. In ge...
Why should I tell the ER doctors about my alcohol and drug use?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
People tend to minimize the amount of alcohol they consume. If you drink six beers a day, say so...
What are the health risks of chewing tobacco?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Smokeless tobacco is known to cause cancers of the mouth, lip, tongue, and pancreas. Users also may ...
What should I do if I have a relapse into addiction?
If you experience a relapse during your recovery from substance abuse, don't give up. Call your spon...