What are the treatment options for subdural empyema?

Because subdural empyema can progress quickly and become life threatening, it is considered a medical emergency and requires immediate treatment. The pus that has accumulated between the middle and outer layers of tissue covering the brain must be surgically drained. In some cases, draining must also be done at the original source of infection - such as the sinuses, for example. Antibiotics are administered intravenously to fight the infection, typically for three to six weeks. In some cases, anticonvulsant medication may be given to reduce the risk of seizures.

Continue Learning about Subdural Empyema

What factors indicate a favorable prognosis for subdural empyema?
If you have subdural empyema, early treatment typically leads to a more favorable prognosis. Other f...
What should I know about caring for someone with subdural empyema?
If you are caring for someone with subdural empyema, keep in mind that this infection is a medical e...
Is subdural empyema serious?
Subdural empyema is serious and is considered a medical emergency. Treatment is available, but immed...
What increases my risk for subdural empyema?
There are several factors that can increase your risk for subdural empyema. For infants and younger ...