What causes subdural empyema?

Subdural empyema is an infection caused by bacteria that inhabit the space between the middle and outer layers of tissue covering the brain. In most cases, subdural empyema stems from an infection that originated elsewhere in the body. In adults and older children, subdural empyema most commonly stems from a sinus infection. In other cases, subdural empyema can stem from an ear infection or blood infection. A head injury or head surgery can also lead to subdural empyema. In younger children and infants, subdural empyema is usually a complication of meningitis.

Continue Learning about Subdural Empyema

How can I manage my subdural empyema on a daily basis?
If you think you may have subdural empyema, you should not try to manage it yourself. Subdural empye...
Can subdural empyema be prevented?
There is no definitive way to prevent subdural empyema. But since subdural empyema often stems from ...
What are the treatment options for subdural empyema?
Because subdural empyema can progress quickly and become life threatening, it is considered a medica...
Is subdural empyema serious?
Subdural empyema is serious and is considered a medical emergency. Treatment is available, but immed...