What should I know about caring for someone with subdural empyema?

If you are caring for someone with subdural empyema, keep in mind that this infection is a medical emergency that requires immediate attention from a doctor. As part of their treatment, they will be given antibiotics intravenously. They will need to continue the entire course of the antibiotic treatment, which is usually recommended for three to six weeks. In addition, they will need to take any other medication that the doctor prescribes such as anticonvulsants - on a regular basis.

Continue Learning about Subdural Empyema

How is subdural empyema diagnosed?
To diagnose subdural empyema, your doctor will first question you about your symptoms. They will the...
How can I manage my subdural empyema on a daily basis?
If you think you may have subdural empyema, you should not try to manage it yourself. Subdural empye...
What increases my risk for subdural empyema?
There are several factors that can increase your risk for subdural empyema. For infants and younger ...
What are the treatment options for subdural empyema?
Because subdural empyema can progress quickly and become life threatening, it is considered a medica...