How does subdural empyema affect the body?

Subdural empyema develops because an infection enters the space between the middle and outer layers of tissue covering your brain. The infection and the accumulation of pus that may lead to compression of your brain can affect your body in several ways. You may develop a fever. Blurred vision and headaches may occur. You may feel nauseous or start vomiting. When left untreated, subdural empyema can lead to coma or even death.

Continue Learning about Subdural Empyema

What are the treatment options for subdural empyema?
Because subdural empyema can progress quickly and become life threatening, it is considered a medica...
Is a CT scan or MRI better for diagnosing subdural empyema?
To diagnose subdural empyema, your doctor will want to look at images of the inside of your head. Al...
How can I manage my subdural empyema on a daily basis?
If you think you may have subdural empyema, you should not try to manage it yourself. Subdural empye...
Can subdural empyema be prevented?
There is no definitive way to prevent subdural empyema. But since subdural empyema often stems from ...