Is a CT scan or MRI better for diagnosing subdural empyema?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

To diagnose subdural empyema, your doctor will want to look at images of the inside of your head. Although either a CT scan or MRI can be used, MRI is the preferred method. MRI shows greater detail and is more sensitive than a CT scan.

Continue Learning about Subdural Empyema

What increases my risk for subdural empyema?
There are several factors that can increase your risk for subdural empyema. For infants and younger ...
What are the treatment options for subdural empyema?
Because subdural empyema can progress quickly and become life threatening, it is considered a medica...
How can I manage my subdural empyema on a daily basis?
If you think you may have subdural empyema, you should not try to manage it yourself. Subdural empye...
How is subdural empyema diagnosed?
To diagnose subdural empyema, your doctor will first question you about your symptoms. They will the...