What is the connection between headache and stroke?

Headaches can be unrelated to stroke, but a sudden, severe headache with loss of vision or numbness in the face may be a sign of a stroke.

Headaches are more consistent with bleeding strokes (hemorrhage strokes). If somebody comes into the hospital with a sudden headache and weakness, I would expect this to be the bleeding kind of stroke. If there is no headache, I will probably lean towards the ischemic stroke, which is associated with blood clots.

Would I worry about every headache being a stroke? No, but there is about is about a 20-30% chance that having a stroke will lead to a headache.

There is basically no connection between headache and stroke. Some people who are having a stroke have a headache and some do not. The majority of stroke patients do not have a headache. There is some evidence that people with migraine headaches, especially women, are more likely to have a stroke than the general population, but that is the only connection.

Continue Learning about Stroke

How Women Can Help Prevent Stroke
How Women Can Help Prevent Stroke
You all know the phrase “different strokes for different folks”. But it’s taken the medical community until now to figure out women have different ris...
How can I benefit from surgical compression stockings after a stroke?
After a stroke, external compression with surgical compression stockings can help control swelling i...
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
About 80 percent of strokes are preventable—if you make little changes to your day. Learn about these five easy ways to reduce stroke risk and get hea...
Where Is the Data Analysis Technolgy Going 5 or 10 Years in the Future?