What is the connection between headache and stroke?

Headaches can be unrelated to stroke, but a sudden, severe headache with loss of vision or numbness in the face may be a sign of a stroke.

Headaches are more consistent with bleeding strokes (hemorrhage strokes). If somebody comes into the hospital with a sudden headache and weakness, I would expect this to be the bleeding kind of stroke. If there is no headache, I will probably lean towards the ischemic stroke, which is associated with blood clots.

Would I worry about every headache being a stroke? No, but there is about is about a 20-30% chance that having a stroke will lead to a headache.

There is basically no connection between headache and stroke. Some people who are having a stroke have a headache and some do not. The majority of stroke patients do not have a headache. There is some evidence that people with migraine headaches, especially women, are more likely to have a stroke than the general population, but that is the only connection.

Continue Learning about Stroke

What You Need to Know About Stroke
What You Need to Know About Stroke
About 795,000 Americans suffer a stroke every year and of those, 130,000 die, making stroke the fifth leading cause of death in the U.S. These are so...
How common are strokes?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Of the approximately 795,000 strokes that occur in the United States each year, about 610,000 are fi...
7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know
7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know
Each year, 55,000 more women will have a stroke than men. Learn about the unique risk factors for women and how to prevent them.
What's the Biggest Cause of Stroke?
What's the Biggest Cause of Stroke?