How common are headaches after having a stroke?

Headaches are common in cases of hemorrhagic (bleeding) strokes. Headaches are uncommon in ischemic strokes, which are caused by blockage of blood flow to the brain and are the most common type of stroke.

A lot of people with strokes have headaches before and during the stroke, and sometimes after. Most of the time headaches will go away as you heal.

Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiologist

Headaches can occur before, during, or after a stroke. Some medications used to prevent stroke can cause headache temporarily. The new onset of a headache that you have not experienced previously should always be discussed with your doctor. While most headaches are not due to a serious problem, they should always be evaluated.

Headaches can occur during or after a stroke. In fact, about one or two out of 10 stroke patients have a headache. And, it is not uncommon to have a headache that persists for a few weeks after a stroke.

Continue Learning about Stroke

How to Lower Stroke and Stroke-Provoking Blood Clots
Your body's ability to stop a stroke before it starts could be greatly enhanced if you simply rode an exercise bicycle a few times each week. When ol...
What questions might I ask my doctor if I have had a stroke?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
If you have had a stroke or mini stroke, it is not unusual to feel concerned and want as much infor...
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
About 80 percent of strokes are preventable—if you make little changes to your day. Learn about these five easy ways to reduce stroke risk and get hea...
What Is a Stroke?
What Is a Stroke?