If I'm at risk for a stroke, how should I prepare?

If you are at risk of having a stroke, prepare for an emergency by displaying important phone numbers prominently next to the telephone, such as the numbers of your doctor and a relative or close friend who should be contacted. It's also a good idea to keep on hand a current list of prescription medications and other drugs you use and a brief medical history to take to the hospital in the event of a stroke.

Continue Learning about Stroke

Is It a Headache or a Stroke?
Is It a Headache or a Stroke?
When you get a headache, you might take aspirin and try to shrug it off. But sometimes headaches are warning signs of something more serious—like a st...
How dangerous is a brain stroke?
Reza Jahan, MDReza Jahan, MD
A stroke is dangerous and life threatening. Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the U...
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
About 80 percent of strokes are preventable—if you make little changes to your day. Learn about these five easy ways to reduce stroke risk and get hea...
Can Eating Green Vegetables Prevent Stroke and Heart Attack?