Are children at risk for strokes?

The rate of stroke in newborns is the same as the rate of stroke in adults over age 75, which is 1 in 5,000.

The strokes in newborns are due to the makeup of the baby's blood. An infant's blood is twice as dense as an adult's blood, which can lead to clotting. It is also possible that a newborn may have a heart defect, which can cause blood to pool around the heart.

Because stroke is difficult to diagnose in children, the statistics for the rate of strokes in children are inexact, but it is believed that strokes occur in three of every 10,000 people between the ages of 1 month and 18 years old.

Strokes among children are evenly split between hemorrhagic and ischemic, and treatment is especially difficult because drugs approved for the treatment of strokes are only approved for adult use.

Continue Learning about Stroke

Should I talk to my doctor about my stroke symptoms?
A stroke is a serious, life-threatening condition that requires emergency treatment. The earlier a p...
How common are headaches after having a stroke?
Tulane Medical CenterTulane Medical Center
A lot of people with strokes have headaches before and during the stroke, and sometimes after. Most ...
Is TPA a Cure for Stroke?
Is TPA a Cure for Stroke?
Take a Walk, Reduce Your Stroke Risk
Take a Walk, Reduce Your Stroke Risk