What do healthcare professionals do when a person has a stroke?

When a stroke patient arrives at the hospital, he or she will be seen immediately by a nurse or doctor who will initiate a stroke alert. Often, the patient will get a computerized axial tomography (CAT) scan of the brain to look for bleeding. If there's no bleeding in the brain, the patient will be assessed by a neurologist (either in person or via electronic means) to see if he or she is a candidate for clot-busting medication. The patient will also be assessed for clot removal (mechanical thrombectomy).

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Stroke Treatment

How soon after a stroke should treatment start?
Dr. Natalia S. Rost, MDDr. Natalia S. Rost, MD
The goal of stroke treatment is to restore blood circulation before brain tissue dies. The time fram...
More Answers
What can I expect at the hospital if I am having a stroke?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
When you go to the hospital for a stroke, you'll be monitored, tested and go through other assessmen...
More Answers
What happens after carotid endarterectomy surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After a carotid endarterectomy (CEA) procedure for carotid artery disease, you will be taken to the ...
More Answers
What are telestroke videoconferencing services?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Not all hospitals have experts on staff around the clock able to evaluate patients who arrive with a...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.