What should I do if someone is having a stroke?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

If you think someone may be having a stroke, act F.A.S.T. and do this simple test:

F — FACE: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
A — ARMS: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
S — SPEECH: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is their speech slurred or strange?
T — TIME: If you observe any of these signs, call 911 immediately.

Continue Learning about Stroke Treatment

What can I expect at the hospital if I am having a stroke?
Los Robles Regional Medical CenterLos Robles Regional Medical Center
Once a stroke patient arrives at the hospital, healthcare professionals will diagnose the type of st...
Is there a cure for a stroke?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for strokes. A stroke requires emergency medical attention, and even...
What is mechanical thrombectomy in the treatment of stroke?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Mechanical thrombectomy is a treatment for stroke that removes clots that block large blood vessels....
What happens in the days following a stroke?
Tulane Medical CenterTulane Medical Center
In the days following a stroke people can have complications. Sometimes, when strokes are large, the...