How do medications treat a stroke?

Depending on the type of stroke, treatments options vary a great deal. In the case of hemorrhagic strokes, doctors must stop the bleeding in the brain. People with a hemorrhagic stroke who are taking anticoagulant medication may need additional treatments to help the blood clot. Blood transfusions, vitamin K, or other substances may be given through an IV to stop bleeding. Conversely, people with ischemic strokes are given aspirin or other anticoagulants to help increase blood flow in the brain. In some cases, analgesics like opioids are used to manage headache pain, too.

Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiologist

Medications for stroke generally fall into 2 categories, medications used to treat the stroke that is occurring to limit the damage caused and medications used to prevent future strokes. The type and cause of the stroke determines which medications are used. After a hemorrhagic stroke where there is bleeding in the brain, medications to prevent bleeding may be used. During ischemic stroke, drugs that break down blood clots to restore blood flow may be used if the patient presents very soon after the stroke. Medications that prevent blood clotting may be used to prevent future strokes.

Continue Learning about Stroke Treatment

What is a stroke treatment center?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
For the quickest diagnosis and initiation of early treatment, it is important to go to a primary or...
Why is it important to treat a stroke right away?
Dr. Christopher M. Goshgarian, MDDr. Christopher M. Goshgarian, MD
It's extremely important to recognize the signs of stroke and to treat a stroke right away by going ...
Who will treat me if I'm at risk for stroke?
SCAISCAI
If your primary care physician is working with you to lower your risk of stroke, he or she is likely...
Who might treat me for stroke if lifestyle changes are not enough?
SCAISCAI
If the severity of your risk factors appears to put you at significant risk of a stroke, or if the l...