How do anticoagulants affect someone with a stroke?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Anticoagulants thin the blood and increase blood flow, which can worsen bleeding in the brain after a hemorrhagic stroke. When someone on anticoagulants has a hemorrhagic stroke, doctors must counter the effects to control bleeding. Vitamin K, blood transfusions, and other clotting substances may be given as part of treatment. Conversely, aspirin and other anticoagulants are common forms of treatment for ischemic strokes to help improve blood flow in the brain as the result of a blockage.

Continue Learning about Stroke Treatment

What are the treatments to stop a stroke in progress?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
There are several aspects of stroke treatment that are introduced simultaneously in order to achieve...
What can I expect at the hospital if I am having a stroke?
Los Robles Regional Medical CenterLos Robles Regional Medical Center
Once a stroke patient arrives at the hospital, healthcare professionals will diagnose the type of st...
Does getting treatment quickly reduce stroke damage?
Dr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MDDr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MD
You should call 9-1-1 and get to the hospital immediately if you suspect a stroke, says Muhammad Taq...
Why is it important to treat a stroke right away?
Dr. Christopher M. Goshgarian, MDDr. Christopher M. Goshgarian, MD
It's extremely important to recognize the signs of stroke and to treat a stroke right away by going ...