Why do some people ignore their stroke symptoms?

Some people ignore their stroke symptoms because they may be in denial or disbelief, but time is crucial when it comes to stroke so seek medical evaluation immediately.

Dr. Reza Jahan, MD
Neuroradiologist

Because stroke symptoms might be hard to recognize, some people ignore them because they don't realize how serious they are. Others believe their symptoms will resolve on their own, which is rarely the case. Some people worry about the cost of medical treatment or think that nothing can be done for them.

It's imporrtant to learn how to recognize the signs of a stroke in yourself or in someone else and get emergency medical help right away. The sooner a stroke is treated, the better the chances of survival and recovery.

Continue Learning about Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms

How will I know when a brain stroke will strike?
You may not know if and when a stroke will strike, but a future of functional disability may be seal...
What are the signs that I might be having a stroke?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
The acronym FAST—face, arm, speech, time—is a good tool for diagnosing a stroke.
What should I do if I notice numbness or paralysis on one side of my body?
If you notice more serious symptoms, such as numbness or paralysis on one side of your body, call 91...
How Do I Know If Someone Is Having a Stroke?