What are the signs that I might be having a stroke?

The acronym FAST—face, arm, speech, time—is a good tool for diagnosing a stroke.

The easiest thing to remember when you need to identify a stroke is FAST: face, arm, speech and time.

Typical warning signs of a stroke develop suddenly and can include:

• weakness or numbness on one side of the body
  • sudden confusion or trouble understanding
  • trouble talking
  • dizziness, loss of balance or trouble walking
  • trouble seeing out of one or both eyes
  • double vision
  • severe headache

If you have warning signs of a stroke, call 9-1-1 right away. Getting treatment as soon as possible after a stroke can help prevent permanent damage to your brain.

Continue Learning about Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms

Stroke Awareness and Timely Action
Stroke Awareness and Timely Action
Roberto De Vicenzo signed an incorrect scorecard at the 1968 Masters (the Argentinian’s score on the 17th hole was three, not four). He overlooked tha...
How do I know if I am having a stroke?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
If you are having a stroke you may experience one or all of the following signs/symptoms. You may ha...
What can stroke patients do to help themselves?
Phaniraj Iyengar, MDPhaniraj Iyengar, MD
Stroke patients can do many things to help themselves, says Phaniraj Iyengar, MD, a vascular neurolo...
How Do I Know If Someone Is Having a Stroke?