What are the signs that I might be having a stroke?

The acronym FAST—face, arm, speech, time—is a good tool for diagnosing a stroke.

Typical warning signs of a stroke develop suddenly and can include:

• weakness or numbness on one side of the body
  • sudden confusion or trouble understanding
  • trouble talking
  • dizziness, loss of balance or trouble walking
  • trouble seeing out of one or both eyes
  • double vision
  • severe headache

If you have warning signs of a stroke, call 9-1-1 right away. Getting treatment as soon as possible after a stroke can help prevent permanent damage to your brain.

The easiest thing to remember when you need to identify a stroke is FAST: face, arm, speech and time.

Continue Learning about Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms

How do I know if I am having a stroke?
TriStar Skyline Medical CenterTriStar Skyline Medical Center
To help you recognize if you are having a stroke, there is an acronym called FAST that stands for fa...
How can I minimize the damage from a stroke?
Two key steps are needed to minimize the damage of a stroke. The first is to recognize the warning s...
How does the location of a stroke affect its symptoms?
If you experience a stroke on the left side of the brain, the right side of the body is affected, of...
How Do I Know If Someone Is Having a Stroke?