What is split vision during a stroke?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Strokes can cause many different symptoms, including slurred speech or difficulty walking. Experiencing “split vision” in each eye—a lesser known symptom—can also occur. In this case, you have only half a field of vision in each eye. For instance, if you were looking at a stop sign, you may only see the O and the P, while the S and T remain invisible.

This occurrence may last for only several minutes until vision is restored, but it still indicates that the visual cortex in the back of the brain has been impacted by loss of blood flow. A CT scan or MRI would reveal that this part of the brain controlling your vision experienced a cutoff in its blood supply. Mini strokes may present themselves this way and are often a precursor to a major stroke.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms

How can I minimize the damage from a stroke?
Two key steps are needed to minimize the damage of a stroke. The first is to recognize the warning s...
What should I do if I notice word confusion or loss?
If you notice subtle symptoms such as word confusion or loss, get to your doctor as soon as possible...
What does my calf size say about my risk of stroke?
Skinny calves may increase your risk of suffering from a stroke. French researchers have discovered ...
What are the signs that I might be having a stroke?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
The acronym FAST—face, arm, speech, time—is a good tool for diagnosing a stroke.