How does the location of a stroke affect its symptoms?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

If you experience a stroke on the left side of the brain, the right side of the body is affected, often resulting in numbness, tingling, etc. If the right side of the brain is injured, then the left side of the body is affected. A stroke in the back of the brain can affect vision, while a stroke in the front of the brain can impair speech.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms

Why do some people ignore their stroke symptoms?
Dr. Reza Jahan, MDDr. Reza Jahan, MD
Because stroke symptoms might be hard to recognize, some people ignore them because they don't reali...
What should I do if I notice numbness or paralysis on one side of my body?
If you notice more serious symptoms, such as numbness or paralysis on one side of your body, call 91...
Why should I learn to identify the symptoms of a stroke?
The signs of a stroke are critical to learn because the sooner you get to the emergency room the bet...
What are the warning signs of a stroke?
Often a stroke victim will have no warning symptoms. However, some patients do experience warning si...