Am I okay if I had stroke symptoms but they seem to have stopped?

You are at risk for having a more permanent stroke if you've had stroke symptoms that seemed to have stopped on their own.

When a stroke starts the blood to part of the brain stops and nerve cells start dying out. It's estimated that 30,000 nerve cells die out per minute, so urgency is very important to restore blood flow and save nerve cells. Once a nerve cell dies it does not regenerate, it's gone forever. Therefore, seeking medical help right away is important. Earlier treatment provides better results.

If you had stroke symptoms and they stopped or reversed back to normal, you should still seek medical attention. Sometimes, people think they have missed their time frame for stroke treatment; it's too late to get help or their symptoms went away. In 2018, the guidelines for treatment changed. People are encouraged to act fast because the sooner people receive treatment, the better the outcome. A blood clotting treatment called tPA can be administered within the first 4.5 hours from onset of signs and symptoms of stroke. However, endovascular therapy can be done up to 24 hours from onset.

If you had stroke symptoms that seem to have stopped, you are not okay! Symptoms that have stopped could be a warning that the stroke symptoms will return and may become permanent. This is a medical emergency and you need to seek medical treatment immediately.

No. Do not assume that if symptoms commonly associated with a stroke stop before you call 911, you are okay. You might have had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or what is also known as a mini-stroke. Even though you feel better, and it seems like the problem has passed, according to the National Stroke Association, 1 in 20 people who have a mini-stroke have another stroke in the next two days.

Just like a stroke, a mini-stroke requires immediate care and follow-up medical treatment to control any risk factors, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Common symptoms of a stroke are listed below. If you suddenly experience any of these symptoms, dial 911.

• A feeling of numbness or weakness in your face, arm or leg (You might notice it on one side more than the other.)
  • Vision problems in one or both eyes
  • Dizziness or loss of balance; difficulty walking
  • Confusion
  • Problems speaking or understanding what other people are saying
  • Severe headaches without warning or explanation

Continue Learning about Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms

Stroke Awareness and Timely Action
Stroke Awareness and Timely Action
Roberto De Vicenzo signed an incorrect scorecard at the 1968 Masters (the Argentinian’s score on the 17th hole was three, not four). He overlooked tha...
What does my calf size say about my risk of stroke?
Skinny calves may increase your risk of suffering from a stroke. French researchers have discovered ...
How does the location of a stroke affect its symptoms?
If you experience a stroke on the left side of the brain, the right side of the body is affected, of...
How Do I Know If Someone Is Having a Stroke?