Why should I be treated for high blood pressure after a stroke or TIA?

Lowering blood pressure with antihypertensive medications reduces the risk of recurrent stroke in people who have had an ischemic stroke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA); therefore, in its guidelines for preventing recurrent strokes, the American Stroke Association (ASA) recommends high blood pressure treatment for anyone recovering from an ischemic stroke or a TIA.

Research has found that a combination of diuretics and angiotensin-converting-enzyme (ACE) inhibitors is beneficial for secondary stroke prevention, but the guidelines state that the choice of antihypertensive drug should be made on an individual basis.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

Are women at a higher risk of stroke than men?
Centerpoint Medical CenterCenterpoint Medical Center
Women are at a higher lifetime risk of stroke than men. About 53 percent of all strokes in the US af...
Is stroke less of a concern for women than breast cancer?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
According to the National Stroke Association, even though most women believe they are more at risk o...
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?
Is the Level of Vitamin C in the Body Related to Stroke Risk?