Who is at risk for stroke?

Stroke is prevalent in elderly people, and in people with risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. Further, doctors are seeing stroke in younger and younger people, as a result of increased childhood obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure in that age group. Stroke can happen in people who have traumatic injuries with resulting vascular injuries from that trauma.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiologist

Anyone can suffer a stroke but a variety of conditions increase this risk greatly. Common risk factors for stroke include hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, smoking, obesity, and lack of exercise. The risk of stroke can be reduced by eliminating and/or treating these risks factors. Not smoking, eating properly, and exercising regularly are simple things everyone can do to lower their risk of stroke and heart attack. See your doctor regularly and take medications prescribed to control high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes as directed.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Strokes strike out of the blue, without warning and can happen to anyone, even people who are healthy. But risk skyrockets in people who engage in unhealthy behaviors or turn their backs on strategies that deal with problems known to raise the risk.

Risk factors for stroke are similar to those that cause heart attack. That's because blood vessel narrowing and damage that affects the arteries supplying the heart, can also wreak havoc in vessels supplying the brain. Anyone who is lucky enough to survive a stroke is at risk for another: 15% have a secondary stroke within a few years of the first.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What are the risk factors for stroke?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Age is the single most important risk factor for stroke overall. Stroke rates steadily increase afte...
Why should I be treated for high blood pressure after a stroke or TIA?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Lowering blood pressure with antihypertensive medications reduces the risk of recurrent stroke in pe...
When Should a Woman with Heart Palpitations See a Doctor?
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?