What risk factors for stroke are important for women younger than 55?

Risk factors for stroke that are especially important for women younger than 55 include:
  • Migraines: Women who suffer from migraines with visual disturbances can be up to 10 times more likely to suffer a stroke.
  • Oral contraceptives: Women who take even a low-estrogen birth control pill may be twice as likely to have a stroke.
  • Pregnancy: Pregnancy may increase your risk of stroke, particularly in pregnant women who experience complications such as preeclampsia or postpartum hemorrhage. Report severe headaches or visual changes after delivery to your healthcare professional immediately. They can be warning signs of blood clots in the brain.
  • Other risk factors include autoimmune diseases including type 1 diabetes and lupus, clotting disorders, taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT), increased abdominal weight and multiple miscarriages.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

Is the level of vitamin C in the body related to stroke risk?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
There might be a correlation between people who have suffered a stroke and who have levels of vitami...
Why is HDL cholesterol considered to be good?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol is considered to be good because it helps the body metabo...
Is the Level of Vitamin C in the Body Related to Stroke Risk?
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?