What increases my risk for a stroke?

Some medical conditions that increase the risk for stroke are heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and high blood cholesterol levels.

Some lifestyle choices also influence the risk of stroke, such as smoking, illegal drug use, inactive lifestyle, lack of exercise and obesity.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What are the main risk factors for arterial dissections?
Carolyn D. Brockington, MDCarolyn D. Brockington, MD
Anyone can be at risk for arterial dissection, so it's crucial to understand the main symptoms. Watc...
Do only older people have strokes?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability and the third leading cause of death in the United S...
If I have prehypertension, am I at greater risk of a stroke?
SCAISCAI
Prehypertension is blood pressure that is slightly above normal but not yet classified as high blood...
Can carotid artery stenosis increase my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
In many people, the atherosclerotic narrowing of carotid arteries doesn't cause symptoms, let alone ...