What increases my risk for a stroke?

Risk factors for stroke include high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, heart disease and being inactive/overweight. Watch neurologist Carolyn Brockington, MD, explain these factors and why it's key to talk to your doctor about your individual risks.

Some medical conditions that increase the risk for stroke are heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and high blood cholesterol levels.

Some lifestyle choices also influence the risk of stroke, such as smoking, illegal drug use, inactive lifestyle, lack of exercise and obesity.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

How might risk factors for a stroke be identified?
SCAISCAI
Your primary care physician may be the first to determine that you have risk factors for a stroke. H...
If I snore, am I at greater risk of heart attack or stroke?
Snoring may be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. People with sleep apnea have irregular breathin...
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?
4 Ways to Lower Dangerous Triglycerides
4 Ways to Lower Dangerous Triglycerides